General Questions

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Edited Jul 13, 2013 at 6:06 PM
I just downloaded the latest release (dated 7/11/2013) to try it out. I love the scaling. It appears to work very well. However, I don't see a way to adjust ANY other setting. In particular, I wanted to use this when connecting from my desktop machine to my media pc where I have all of my music files. When I went to play a music file the sound comes out of my local speakers instead the remote speakers. Normally, RDT has a dialog where you can tell it where you want the sound to be played (and some other settings), but I don't see any way to set this with Columbus RDT. Am I missing this?

One other reason I have not been using Windows RDT for connecting to my media pc is that I would like to have it NOT put up the "locked" screen on the remote pc. Essentially I'd like to see it work like VNC where both ends of the connection show the remote desktop. My media player (Media Monkey) displays album artwork and other things, so it would be nice to see these as well as be able to use the mouse when I'm on the couch to select songs without having to type in the password and kill my connection on my desktop machine. Essentially, it would be nice to work in Remote Assistance mode, but WITHOUT going through the extra log-in stuff that normally is done for Remote Assistance. VNC just leaves the connection open at both ends with minimal hassle, but it doesn't scale the display well at all. Columbus does the scaling really well in my initial testing. Kudos for that. :-)

-Mike
Coordinator
Jul 15, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Hi Mike!
Thanks for trying out Columbus Remote Desktop (CRD) and I'm glad you liked what it has to offer so far.
As for your concerns, this is very close to me personally as I too like a good media center and built quite a few for myself and friends.

So sound redirection, currently CRD is configured to redirect everything to the remote session, sound, clipboard and even printers, that is because usually you have a remote session to manage a remote computer and have the whole experience remotely, but in version 2.5 due in a few weeks I plan to expand the settings section to include more options that will be saved per connection.
So for example, with one connection sound will be redirected and for the other not.

As for your setup, I could give you a short description how it works for me:
I have an small computer based on AMD E-350 board, which has a CPU and a GPU all fused into it at a very reasonable price.
The system connects to the TV via HDMI, and has Windows Server 2012 installed (but you can use Linux too). The OS has 2 users, 1 user runs the media center and media server (XBMC), while with the other user I log on with via Remote Desktop to manage files, add movies, music and so on.

To control the setup I have an app on my phone that turns the phone into a WiFi XBMC remote (there's a lot of such apps on nearly every smartphone).
As backup I also have a miniature keyboard with an integrated touchpad.
So if I wanna play music on the TV, I fire up the app on my phone and rock the house :)

Finally to answer your question about Remote Assistance, it's bit of a different protocol that RDP (that CRD is based on) and I might work with that in the future but for now I'm focused on releasing version 2.5 (which is gonna be awesome :))